HOW TO - Contribute Lyrics
Click here for Fonts and Unicode Help. Courtesy: Kannada Wikipedia
Steps for Contributing Lyrics:
1. To post your comments and to contribute lyrics on KannadaLyrics.com, click here to sign up.
2. Generate the lyrics in unicode kannada format. This step is further explained below.
3. Click on 'Contribute Lyrics' in the left hand side menu in the main page of Kannadalyrics.com
4. Enter the title as : Movie name (year) - song title
In case of non-movie songs, please mention the name of the Album.
5. Enter the lyrics in the 'Body' text area.
6. Select the type of lyrics as either chitrageete, janapada geete, bhaava geete or shaastreeya geete.
7. For all other selections, please select the appropriate ones. If they are not present, please leave them blank and continue with your submission.
8. Click 'Preview' button to make sure everything is fine. Make any necessary corrections and press 'Submit' button.
Points to remember:
1. Please make sure, the lyrics dont exist.
2. Do check the spelling and kaaguNita of the lyrics. A 'proof read' is recommended.
3. Follow the format of existing lyrics. If known, please mention the Movie/album name, Lyricist/Poet name, Music Director name for each of the song. There is a filtering mechanism, through which songs can be listed based in multple ways. So, try to provide this information as much as possible.
Q1)How to generate lyrics text in Unicode kannada?
For Windows XP Users:
1. Download and install baraha software from www.baraha.com
2. Start the tool 'Baraha direct'. Once you start, you can switch between 'On' and 'Off' states of baraha direct using F11 key.
2. Right click on the 'baraha direct' icon in the right-bottom part of your screen. Select 'Convert'->'Kannada'->'Unicode'
3. While 'baraha direct' is on, start typing directly in the body text area of the contents page in KannadaLyrics.com.
4. While typing, if you need to type a English word, just use F11 key to switch between Kannada and English.
1. Type the lyrics listening to the song/reading from a book etc.
3. Convert (parivartisu) - This displays the kannada text in output frame.
4. Press the 'Export' button - 4th button from the left in the button panel.
5. Select 'Text (Unicode)' and press 'OK'.
6. Save the generated text file. If you see the boxes in the text file, change the font to any of the unicode fonts such as 'Arial MS Unicode' or 'Lucida Sans Unicode'
7. Copy the contents of the text file and paste to 'Body' text aread of contents page in KL.
NOTE: These steps are required only for the first time. You could use the 'Quick Export' button - next to the 'Export' button in Baraha.
All other Operating Systems, refer the Kannada Wikipedia page or sampada.net for detailed help on using unicode.
Q2) I cannot contribute in Unicode, What do I do ?
The only other alternative is to contribute in .brh format. After typing the lyrics in baraha, save the lyrics. Copy and paste the text as it is from .brh file. Lyrics typed in english script without using baraha format, will need to be avoided.
Eg: 'huttidare kannada naadal huttabeku'
This is not acceptable format. This is required to be 'huTTidare kannaDa nADal huTTabEku'
Q3) I cannot see the displayed text. Can I see in some other format?
It is our aim to drive everyone in online kannada community towards the usage of Unicode kannada.
It is strongly recommended to have your machine upgraded/updated to be compliant with the unicode kannada.
Refer to Kannada Wikipedia for Font Help (Click here).
Looking forward to your active participation in the world of Kannada Lyrics.
- Based on the instructions prepared by ಮನ (mana)